1. Adams, R. B., H. Almeida, and D. Ferreira. 2002. Powerful CEOs and Their Impact on Corporate Performance. The Review of Financial Studies 18(4): 1403–1432.
2. Arevalo, J. A., and D. Aravind. 2010.The impact of the crisis on corporate responsibility: the case of UN global compact participants in the USA. Corporate Governance 10(4): 406-420.
3. Awad, E., and I. Awad. 2015. Economic growth and cost stickiness: evidence from Egypt. Journal of Financial Reporting and Accounting 13(1): 119-140.
4. Baatwah, S. R., Z. Salleh, and N. Ahmad. 2015. CEO characteristics and audit report timeliness: do CEO tenure and financial expertise matter?. Managerial Auditing Journal 30(8/9):998-1022.
5. Badertscher, A., K. Sharon, and R. Sonja. 2013. The separation of ownership and control and corporate tax avoidance. Journal of Accounting and Economics 56: 228–250.
6. Benlemlih, M., and I. G. Potin. 2017. Corporate Social Responsibility and Firm Financial Risk Reduction: On the Moderating Role of the Legal Environment, www.ssrn.com.
7. Benmelech, E., and C. Frydman. 2014. Military CEOs. Journal of Financial Economics 1: 43-59.
8. Bertomeu, J., and R. Magee. 2011. From Low-Quality Reporting to Financial Crises: Politics of Disclosure Regulation along the Economic Cycle. Journal of Accounting and Economics 52: 209 – 227.
9. Bertrand, M. 2009. CEOs. Annual Review of Economics 1: 121-150.
10. Bornemann, T. 2018. Tax Avoidance and Accounting Conservatism. WU International Taxation Research 4:1-44.
11. Boubakri, N., O. Guedhami, D. Mishra, and W. Saffar. 2012. Political connections and the cost of equity capital. Journal of Corporate Finance 18(3): 541-559.
12. Burlea, S. A., C. Radu, L. Craciun, C. Ionascu, and R. Lolescu. 2010. The relationship between financial crisis, corruption and Corporate Social Responsibility in Romania. Management & Marketing 8(1): 65-72.
13. Chen, J., and R. Strange. 2005. The determinants of capital structure: Evidence from Chinese listed companies. Economic Change and Restructuring 38(1):11– 35.
14. Chen, S., X. Chen, Q. Cheng, and T. Shevlin. 2010. Are family firms more tax aggressive than non-family firms?. J Financ Econ 95: 41–61.
15. Crossland, C., and D. C. Hambrick. 2007. How national systems differ in their constraints on corporate executives: A study of CEO effects in three countries. Strategic Management Journal 28(8):767-789.
16. Custódio, C., and D. Metzger. 2013. How Do CEOs Matter? The Effect of Industry Expertise on Acquisition Returns. Review of Financial Studies 26: 2008-2047.
17. Custódio, C., and D. Metzger. 2014. Financial expert CEOs: CEO׳s work experience and firm׳s financial policies. Journal of Financial Economics (forthcoming).
18. Demerjian, P., B. Lev, and S. MacVay. 2012. Quantifying managerial ability: A new measure and validity test. Management Science 58(7):1229-1248.
19. Denis, D. J., and O. Igor.2008. Why Do Firms Pay Dividends? International Evidence on the Determinants of Dividend Policy. Journal of Financial Economics 89: 62– 82.
20. Desai, M., and D. Dharmapala. 2006. Corporate tax avoidance and high-powered incentives. Journal of Financial Economics 79: 145–179.
21. Dowell G., M. Shackell, and N. Stuart. 2011. Boards, CEOs, and surviving a financial crisis: Evidence from the internet shakeout. Strategic Management Journal 32(10):1025-1045.
22. Edwards, A., C. Schwab, and T. Shevlin. 2013. Financial Constraints and the Incentive for Tax Planning. https://www.ssrn.com/abstract.
23. Fama, E. F., and M. C. Jensen.1983. Agency Problems and Residual Claims. Journal of Law and Economics 26: 49-327.
24. Fernndez, B., and F. Souto. 2009. Crisis and Corporate Social Responsibility: Threat or Opportunity?. International Journal of Economic Sciences and Applied Research 2(1): 36-50.
25. Filip, A., and B. Raffournier. 2014. Financial crisis and earnings management: The European evidence. The International Journal of Accounting 49: 455–478.
26. Finkelstein, S. 1992. Power in top management teams: Dimensions, measurement, and validation. The Academy of Management Journal 35: 505-538.
27. Fosberg, R. 2012. Capital Structure and Financial Crises. Journal of Finance and Accountancy 4:1-10.
28. Fosberg, R. 2013. Short-Term Debt Financing During the Financial Crisis. International Journal of Business and Social Science 4 (8): 46-55.
29. Fosu, s. 2013. Capital structure, product market competition and firm performance: evidence from South Africa. The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance 53: 140-151.
30. Frank, M. M., J. L. Lynch, and S. O. Rego. 2009. Are financial and tax reporting avoidance reflective of broader corporate policies?. Account Rev 84 (2): 467–496.
31. García, J. M., G. Beatriz, and F. Penalva. 2012. Accounting conservatism and the limits to earnings management. Availableat http://ssrn.com/abstract.
32. Giannarakis, G., and L. Theotokas. 2011. The Effect of Financial Crisis in Corporate Social Responsibility Performance. International Journal of Marketing Studies 3(1): 2-10.
33. Gordon, M. J. 1972.Towards a Theory of Financial Distress. The Journal of Finance 26(2): 347-356.
34. Hambrick, D. C., and P.A. Mason. 1984. Upper echelons: the organization as a reflection of its top managers. The Academy of Management Review 9(2): 193-206.
35. Hanlon, M., and Sh. Heitzman. 2010. A review of tax research. Journal of Accounting and Economics 50: 127-178.
36. Heenetigala, K. 2011. Corporate Governance Practices and Firm Performance of Listed Companies in Sri Lanka, Heenetigala Thesis submitted in fulfilment of the requirement of the degree of Doctor of Business Administration. Victoria Graduate SchoolFaculty of Business and LawVictoria UniversityMelbourne.
37. Henry, D. 2010. Agency costs, ownership structure and corporate Governance compliance: A private contracting perspective. Pacific-Basin Finance Journal 18: 24–46.
38. Higgins, R. C. 2007. Analysis for Financial Management. McGraw-Hill Irwin, New York.
39. Hitt, M. A., and R. D. Ireland. 1985. Corporate distinctive competence, strategy, industry and performance. Strategic management journal 6(3):273-293.34.
40. Hsieh, T.S., Z. Wang, and S. Demirkan. 2018. Overconfidence and Tax Avoidance: The Role of CEO and CFO Interaction. J Account Public Policy 37: 241–253.
41. Huang, X. 2015. Managerial ability and real earnings management. Unpublished Doctoral Dissertation, Oklahoma University.
42. Jenkins, D. S., G. D. Kane, and U. Velury. 2009. Earnings Conservatism and Value Relevance Across the Business Cycle. Journal of Business Finance and Accounting 36: 1041 – 1058.
43. Jensen, M. C. 1989. Active investors, LBOs, and the privatization of bankruptcy. Journal of Applied Corporate Finance 22(1): 77–85.
44. Jensen, M., and W. Meckling.1976. Theory of the firm: managerial behavior ,agencycostsandownership structure. Journal of Financial Economics 3: 305–360.
45. Johnson, M. F. 1999. Business Cycles and the Relation between Security Returns and Earnings. Review of Accounting Studies 4: 93 – 117.
46. Karaibrahimoglu, Y.Z. 2010. Corporate social responsibility in times of financial Crisis. African Journal of Business Management 4(4):382-389.
47. Keller, G., and B. Warrack. 2003. Statistics for management and economics (6th ed.). Pacific Grove, CA: Duxbury Press.
48. Kouki, M., and A. Elkhaldi. 2011. Toward a Predicting Model of Firm Bankruptcy: Evidence from the Tunisian Context. Middle Eastern Finance and Economics 14: 26– 43.
49. Kubick, T, R., D. P. Lynch, M. A. Mayberry, and T. c. Omer. 2015. Product Market Power and Tax Avoidance: Market Leaders, Mimicking Strategies, and Stock Returns. The Accounting Review 90( 2): 675–702.
50. KwangJoo, K. 2015. The Effects of CEO Power on Firm Value: Evidence from the Financial Crisis of 2008. Accounting and Finance Research 4( 4): 13-25.
51. Lisic, L. L., T. L. Neal, and I. X. Zhang. 2016. CEO Power, Internal Control Quality, and Audit Committee Effectiveness in Substance Versus in Form. Contemporary Accounting Research 2: 1-39.
52. Mahmud, M., G. M. Herani, A. W. Rajar, and W. Farooqi. 2009. Economic factors influencing corporate capital structure in three Asian countries: Evidence from Japan, Malaysia and Pakistan. Indus Journal of Management & Social Science 3(1):9–17.
53. McKnight, P. J., and C. Weir. 2009. Agency Costs, Corporate Governance Mechanisms and Ownership Structure in Large UK Publicly Quoted Companies: A Panel Data Analysis. The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance 49: 139-158.
54. Njoroge, J. 2009. Effects of the global financial crisis on corporate social responsibility in multinational companies in Kenya, Covalence Intern Analyst Papers. [Online] Available: www.covalence.ch/docs/Kenya -Crisis.pdf (October 30, 2010).
55. Odabashian, K. 2005. The Effect of Large Leverage Increases on Opportunistic Behavior and Earnings Management. University of Connecticut.
56. Persakis, A., and G. E. Iatridis. 2015. Earnings quality under global financial crisis: A global empirical investigation. Journal of Multinational Financial Management 30: 1-35.
57. Pornist, j., A. M. Gary, Y. Soon Suk, and S. K. Young. 2008. Is earnings management opportunistic or beneficial? An agency theory perspective. International Review of Financial Analysis 17(3): 622-634.
58. Prombutr, W., and C. Phengpis. 2019. Behavioral-related firm characteristics, risks and determinants of stock returns. Review of Accounting and Finance 18 ( 1): 95-112.
59. Richardson, G., G. Taylor, and R. Lanis.2015. The impact of financial distress on corporate tax avoidance spanning the global financial crisis: Evidence from Australia. Economic Modelling 44: 44–53.
60. Saidu, S. 2019. CEO characteristics and firm performance. Journal of Global Entrepreneurship Research 9(29): 1-15.
61. Steijvers, T., and M. Niskanen. 2014. Tax aggressiveness in private family firms: An agency perspective. Journal of Family Business Strategy 5 (4): 347-357.
62. Tomar, A., and S. Korla.2011. Global Recession and Determinants of CEO Compensation: An Empirical Investigation of Listed Indian Firms. Advances In Management 4(12): 11-26.
63. Wang, O. J. 2016. The Role of Multinational Companies in Tax Evasion and Tax Avoidance: The Case of Nigeria. Critical Perspectives on Accounting 22(3): 316-332.
64. Westermann, R. 2013. Measuring Agency Costs over the Business Cycle, The Internet appendix is available at https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.
65. Whitaker, R. 1999. The Early Stage of Financial Distress. Journal ofEconomics and Finance 23(2):123-133.
66. Yingkai, T., L. Yao, L. Jing, and L. Weiping. 2019. Does More Managerial Power Impede or Promote Corporate Tax Avoidance? Evidence from Listed Chinese Companies. Sustainability Journal 11: 2-18.
67. Yuan, J., and Y. Jiang. 2008. Accounting Information Quality, Free Cash Flow and Overinvestment: A Chinese Study. The Business Review 11( 1): 159-166.
68. Zhing, Y. 2008. Information asymmetry and the dismissal of newly appointed CEOs: An empirical investigation. Strategic Management Journal 29(8): 859-872.